Silver Linings (Don't Worry, Be Happy!)
Tonight, our company celebrated the end of Christmas and the final working day of the year with our annual bonfire/fireworks festival/fiesta/inuman! With all the beer, music, and fun going around, you wouldn't think that 2004 was not such a great year at all. But it wasn't, was it?Oh no, don't get me wrong. This won't be a bitter testimonial to all the wrong things that happened this year. I have a point here. I promise.
I started today with a year ender mancom meeting, and as was pointed out there(although subtly played down), this year was not a good year for the company. And I guess the same can be said for many other companies in the country. Yep, 2004 was haaaard on all of us. Ok, most of us. Umm... Some of us? Ok, I'm certain it was hard on me. Hehe. I can honestly say that this is the worst year of my life(well, so far anyway). Worst. If I were to list down the big bad things that occured this year, and I mean BIG, not just those simple day to day problems and shortcomings we all endure, I'd still be left with a looong list. And if there were only 5 WORST happenings in all my 25 years, 3 of those could be found in 2004! Whew! So why celebrate at all, huh?
But what I failed to mention earlier is that this wan't a bad year for the company either. Hey! We're still here! 2005, get ready for us! Last night, I was talking (chatting, actually) with my dearest and closest friend. It was really fun and enjoyable more so since we had a rather huge falling out of sorts lately. We've begun seeing things differently, our ideals and principles suddenly hitting a crossroad and sent careening in different directions. For the longest time, we separated ways, all communication reduced to rare and simple one sentence text messages. BUT, despite all these, we're still friends! Hey again! In some ways, she's still here! And for what it's worth, I'm still here too. So, many things may have fallen apart, but what matters most still remains! Cool!
So, once again, I ask, should I be celebrating today(or the Xmas season for that matter)? Well, two days ago, I was in Mindanao for another meeting. There, I encountered a lumad who sang his heart out to the tune of jingle bells! Along with his kid and his make-shift banjo, he had the time of his life. But what was he so happy about? What was he celebrating? Not being a Christian, why celebrate Christmas? How could he do it when I, a Catholic, have so often forgotten the true reason for Chrismas (Bday ni Santa)? And the answer? "Why not"? You don't need a reason to be happy. And if you can be truly happy about nothing at all, then isn't there more cause to celebrate the small things that are left intact even after a tragedy? Aaaaand.. there's the point!Hehe. Yun lang. Inuman na!
Smile. No problem!


2 Comments:
glad things are looking up for you..pero di ko gets sinasabi mo!as long as you're happy.
keno
haha! di mo gets? basta, maganda point niyan! and onga pala, i typed that right after the bonfire so medyo naka inom nako niyan...hehe....
Post a Comment
<< Home