Life is a highway... I will ride it all night long... If you're going my way... I will drive it all night long...

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Back to basics, back to Law

Okay, okay. I said I would finish the monk story in today's post but, very characteristic of me, I found some way to put that off for another day. In short, tinatamad pa ako. Hehe. What I want to do now is to write about something else. Something which, very much unlike my procrastinative tendencies, is not part of my usual repertoire. I'll write about how much I enjoyed the first day of classes! Ayos!

Let me begin with last night. Last night, I spent the last day of my Christmas break having a few drinks with my friends. Very reminiscent of the arrival of the three kings, several of my MBA friends came to my house bearing gifts of wine, pulutan, and kuwentuhan (and as usual, umuwi nanaman ng maaga si Mr. Castillo--9:32 pm! Pero late na yon as he originally planned to leave by 9:30.) It was a very good way to start off the semester as we talked about the the ups and downs of having MBA classes up to 3 am. With enough alchohol, talks about disastrous reports, limitless meetings, and killer meetings can really be quite fun. But as I sobered up a bit, I realized that aside from the friends I made during those MBA classes, I was really glad to leave MBA behind(even for a short time) and go back to taking up law again.

Which brings me to my first law class in almost a year now: partnerships. If I may say so, taking up law after MBA can be quite a harrowing experience. After two semesters of informal sessions and being free to do almost anything you want(from spending the entire three hours of class surfing the net on your laptop to coming to class 2 hours late!) I'm now back to having to read hundreds of pages at any given time. In fact, recitations were even conducted in the first day of class! Luckily, I was not called. Haha. Good start for me! With regard to the class itself, I was really impressed with the teaching of our professor. Since the session was really an introduction to the subject, we had to go through a review of OBLICON, a prerequisite for the subject. And quite honestly, I learned more from those two hours of discussion than I did from studying the subject for 3 semesters!(both in college and in law school) Here is a guy who I think rivals Justice Caguioa in the sense that he has clearly memorized the Civil Code in its entirety. And the way he conducted the lecture reminded me of the way Tom Cruise moved virtual pages in Minority Report. It was as if the teacher had the whole law in his mind, and he simply moved articles around in connection with the topic he was discussing. He had this way of holistically presenting the matter so much so that he connected everything with EVERYTHING and discussed all these in a very logical manner. All in all, it was very inspiring. I guess all I'm saying is that law school may be tough, but I'm here and I'm ready for it! Naks! As we used to say, TODO NA 'TO!

Finally, I would just like to congratulate myself for the improvements in this blog page. Hehe. Kulang ba sa affirmation? Not knowing anything about HTML or any codes, I'm quite proud with the way this page turned out! Haha! As I said, good start for 2005: my year!

2 Comments:

At 4:03 AM, Blogger ibYang said...

yez! congratulations mike.. a job well done sa blog mo! i'm so impressed.. better pa sa mga kakilala ko hehe :) when is our scheduled tutorial by the way? ;)

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Traveller said...

tutorial? di na kelangan! saw your blog na and i think pareho tayo ng approach to title-making! trial and error uli!hehe. in any case, exchange notes na lang tayo sa party tom!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home