The Wonderful Art of Stalling
I should be studying. Yes, I know that I have a class under Sec. Nani Perez tomorrow, and you’d think that I’d be more afraid of one of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse. But I can’t help it. It is still technically the weekend, even if I have only a few more minutes of Sunday left, and I plan to use them for my leisure. Hell, I can cram tomorrow. That’s the spirit!
Have you ever wondered why it is that you will always be tempted to do something else when you really have to do a certain task? And usually, that thing that distracts you is really something that you wouldn’t do if you had more than enough time to do it. Just think, how many times has it happened that you just had to clean your closet, sort your papers, cut your nails or play with your dog at exactly the same time that you had work to be done? Case in point: here I am now, indulging in a Smallville marathon when a horde of cases are still waiting to be read.
Ahh, Smallville. The TV series that jumped out of the pages of a comic book and ripped apart every other show in its time slot. I don’t know why, but I simply find this series quite enthralling. I never really saw Superman as an interesting character. I guess maybe it’s because of the fact that I find it easy to relate to many of the issues raised in the show. Yes, I am a superhero trying to hide my powers from everyone. However, I don’t like the turn the series has taken with regard to Lana. All of a sudden, she’s turned into a real jerk who can’t see past her own nose. Stupidly persisting to stay with that snake, Jason, Lana sure is making a big mistake. It just won’t work, fool! Tsk, tsk. Giving up on a superman…. Haha. Even crazy Alisha(who happens to be a teleporting super villain) appears to be a better girlfriend for Clark as it’s clear where her loyalty lies. Oh well. Clark was never really meant to get Lana anyway.
Now, there’s realism for you. Even comic book characters have love problems. I remember the time when Sue Richards had to put on a really skimpy outfit just to get the attention of Reed, when Scott Summers left his wife Madelyne Pryor for the real love of his life, Jean Grey, when Wolverine and Mariko were torn apart by the lady’s father, Lord Shingen. When… well, you know you’re a real geek when you begin looking at relationships from the point of view of people in tights. But then again, there is always Peter Parker, the amazing Spiderman, and his wife, MJ. Now there’s a couple that really works! Despite murderous actress-stalkers, spider slayers, obsessed ex-girlfriends with nine lives, and psychotic, brain eating alien sybiotes dropping by their lives, they manage to stick it out. Nothing fazes them because they know where they belong. Not even a schizophrenic best friend who once left an exploding spiderman dummy on their conjugal bed or a loony clone saga(which was really one of the worst storyarcs of the spiderman line). Of course their relationship is not perfect, but they sure know how to work at it.
Hmm… I might as well stop right here before I completely reveal my nerdishness(?). Yup, turning to comic books for relationship tips may not seem to be the proper way to go, but I believe you’ll agree with me that there’s some wisdom there. Why do you think superheroes always have love interests? Hey, I bet my own MJ will agree with me. Lovya, babe! True enough, the good guy always get the girl!
Okay, study time now.


2 Comments:
Why? Because being lazy pays off today. Take the path of least resistance! Join the dark side!
hehehe! the MJ-Spidey sounds good. Smallville pa rin ba? I don't like the 4th season.
Post a Comment
<< Home