Life is a highway... I will ride it all night long... If you're going my way... I will drive it all night long...

Saturday, February 03, 2007

A Tribute to My Bestfriend

No, my bestfriend isn't dead. Far from it. In fact, she has only begun living her life the way she wants to. And maybe this is why I am writing this post. As a way of congratulating and supporting her in this endeavor of hers, whether she knows it or not.

My relationship with my bestfriend is not extraordinary in the sense that it is better than all other relationships between bestfriends. I know that we didn't treat each other any more specially than the way you yourself treat your own bestfriend. But for me, it is something that I will always cherish, no matter what. And I guess, in a way, it is extraordinary, if only to me. My bestfriend and I have what you may call an eternal love-hate relationship. Classic. But then again, what close relationship isn't, right? True enough, the fiercest of fights have been between the closest of friends. It is because you know somebody so intimately that you will want to share everything with your friend, even the very way you look at things. And this is where arguments arise. Because no matter how close you are, no matter how intimately you know the other, no matter what you've shared, you are still two separate and distinct people. And there will always be differences between you. Fundamental differences.

In any case, my bestfriend and I have gone our separate ways. And I mean that literally, as she's moved to New York. But in some ways, this moving signals more than just a simple change of proximity to one another. In many ways. It brings forth a splitting of ideals between the two of us, a change in perception, a change in our outlooks in life. But being mere perceptions, ideas and opinions, neither of us is wrong. And maybe neither of us is right. But this is the way we choose to lead our lives, and I guess that spells out the rightness of our actions for either of us. She has decided to try a new road to walk down, and I, sad to say, cannot follow her there. Where that new road takes her, I don't know. But I wish her the best.

This move is something she has always wanted for herself. I've known for quite some time that she would leave, and until the day she left, I resisted that change with a fervor that drove a deeper wedge that the leaving actually could cause. This was my mistake. It was my mistake because it was her life to lead. And this is what I admire about my bestfriend. She knows what she wants in life, and she knows how to get it. And she does waht she has to do to get it. This is something that I truly lack. Oh, I know what I want, but like many out there, I weaken in the actual implementation of that desire. After great passion comes gret mediocrity, the unwillingness to give that extra oomph to push through with it. Like many out there, I revel in being one step before the finish line, but I hesitate to take the final step. This weakness, brought about and fueled by many things ranging from sentimentality to various ideologies, is what separates me from my bestfriend.

But now, she is well on her way to getting her dream. And in most ways, she is better off where she is. It would seem her choice was right. she has her whole life ahead of her. And if I know her at all, she will live that life with as much zest and passion as the day I met her. And I know she will make it in her new world. I know this because I know her. Maybe even more than she actually knows herself.

So to you, dear friend, I hope you finally get the happiness that you've always told me about during our times of laughter. Find the "you" that you've always dreamt you would be. Enjoy your life the way you have always imagined. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do, but I know that you will not need it. Build your life the way you've always wanted it, free of hindrances and intrusions. Do this and know that I may have gotten it wrong. That the road and the journey is more important than the destination. Or maybe we both have it right. Who knows? All that matters is that we are both happy at what we do. And you know what? I know that our roads will cross again. They may not merge, but I know that people who are as close as we are always meet again.

2 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes indeed. i wish that we both will become happy. we may not be walking on the same road, but we'll always be parallel to each other.

thank you, for starting to understand. i truly wish for your happiness.

-mango

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Traveller said...

yeah. Here's to happiness! :) yup, parallel roads. Who knows, maybe there'll be times when I look at the road side and see you on your own road too! Good luck in all that you do!

"Sinong bestfriend mo doon? Syempre ikaw lang!" hehe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home