Onward to Geektopia
For the non-geeks out there, this post isn't for you.

I just saw the new trailer for Spiderman 3 and I must say that I'm really excited for this one. Since the teaser I saw some time ago only lasted for a few seconds, I really got a kick out of the full trailer since it showed a lot of scenes with many of my favorite Spidey characters. It has everything from Venom to the Green Goblin (this time it's Harry)to the Sandman, and even to Gwen Stacey!Now this installment in the franchise is one for the hard core Spidey fans. I'm not quite sure how they're going to introduce Venom though since I'm pretty sure they won't be having any Secret Wars in the movie wherein Peter gets a hold of an alien symbiote. But I'm sure that however Venom enteres the scene, it will be great! Another thing I can't quite figure out is how Gwen Stacey enters the picture since Mary Jane was introduced first. As we all know, Gwen was Peter's first love in the comic book series, but she died even before Peter even thought about MJ. In many ways, Gwen really was THE penultimate Sidey girl. As for the Sandman, though, well, he's just plain cool no matter how they bring him in.
Yep, Spidey and I go a long way back. I really don't recall what my first Spidey book was, but there really was something in the way he was portrayed that made him stand apart from all the comic book characters I read about. Maybe it was because unlike every other character in comicdom, he does not carry an overabundance of testosterone and tries killing everyone in his path. No, Spidey's the type of hero who just doesn't take things too seriously. But his heart always seems to be in the right place so that he always does the right thing. And he does get things done. Also, unlike other heroes who were born with powers, have an ungodly amounts of money in order to construct batcaves or iron armors, or were even born in distant worlds, Spiderman was born just like any average person. Only after living life normally does he get his powers thereby cementing hte fact that he is never really separated from people. In other words, he never got a swelled head about it. Maybe I like Spidey because I can relate to his story. He is special, but he also has normal troubles. He has money problems, girl problems (hey, being a nerd was hard enough, but having your girlfriend killed by a psychopath?), self esteem problems (try having a multitude of clones why doncha?), being misunderstood most of the time (thanks to smear campaigns by the Bugle), and yes, even guilt problems("with great power comes great responsibility.") But maybe this is what makes Spidey a hero: his ability to face all adversity and still know who he is. How many times has he failed? How many times has he made mistakes? Hell, how many costume changes has he gone through( but still, the suckiest was the crystal armored spidey. Cosmic Spidey still gets my vote. But he has never lost track of who he is.In the end, Spidey is just a person trying to get by, living by his beliefs and trying to do the right thing in the process. And if doing the right thing means making some sacrifices on his part, then so be it. Aunt May said it all in the second movie when she said " I believe there's a hero in all of us, that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride,even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most." Deep. By the way, back in comic book land, Spidey will be returning to his old black costume this summer. Labeled as the "Black is back" series, this is something that I find really intriguing. What changes are in store for our hero now?
Anyway, in related news, there's gonna be a bunch of comic books making their way to the big screen soon. Of course, there's Iron Man played by Robert Downey Jr., the Fantastic Four sequel (with Silver Surfer), Wolverine, Flash, and Wonderwoman movies. Also, there's the new Ghostrider movie soon to hit the screens. And although not originally found in comic book form, the new Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies are must see films! However, since I really don't have many chances of watching films in the big screen nowadays, I have to settle for DVDs. Oh well. Oh by the way, Stan "the Man" Lee will be appearing on the next episode of Heroes! Hail to the king!
So there. All I have to do now is wait for 85 days and 10 hours until they finally release Spiderman 3. But knowing the super powers of the pirateers here, I guess the film will be available sooner than that.
I think I'm just going to swing around the neighborhood for a while then...


2 Comments:
go get them, tiger.
ROAR! hehe
Post a Comment
<< Home