Almost Finding Out Who Killed Her
For some reason, I'm the type of person who tends to pick out one time in his life and simply drags that on for as long as he can. In my case, I seem to be fixated on that point in time wherein everything was new and shiny. And that would be the late eighties to the early nineties. Yup, I'm talking about the time when Robinson's Galleria was the only decent mall around and Ali Mall was a close second. I'm talking about cycling shorts, Aquanet and undercut hairstyles. I'm talking about the time when the the Lobangco sisters, the Loyzaga brothers and all the Pinoy Wrestlers (Go Boy Bakal! Go Lawin!) reigned supreme. Yes, those were the wonderful days of new wave, glam rock, and the even up to the grunge revolution. And even if I don't own a pair of cycling shorts (anymore?), most of my likes still revolve around things emanating from those times. Hell, I even persist on folding my pant legs on the outside! But yes, I still believe that the songs of the Dawn are infintely better than what we have now. That new rock bands should still bow to the likes of Wolfgang and Razorback. Although TV shows have evolved since then, I'm still having difficulties ascertaining whether The Amazing Race is better than Takeshi's Castle, whether CSI is more captivating than 21 Jumpstreet, whether the Band of Brothers can take on Tour of Duty, and if House MD is smarter than Doogie Howser and the Heroes of today are better than the Misfits of Science or even the Manimal. And as far as aliens go, I think Alf can outclass Clark Kent any day of the week.
Which brings me to the topic at hand. More than 15 years ago, a TV show was aired, and everyone just had to ask the question :"Who killed Laura Palmer?" Yup, Twin Peaks was a show so captivating that it was an instant classic. It was strange. It was eerie. It was a mystery. Incidentally, it was February 24, 1989 when Laura was found "dead and wrapped in plastic." How's that for a coincidence? In any case, even with the popularity of the show, I never got to find out who really did kill Laura. Yes, being a kid at the time, I had to sneak out of my homework time and watch the show alongside my brother. Looking back, I'm quite sure I wouldn't have been able to handle the creepiness of the show alone. And when I began having nightmares of a freaky little midget talking in really slow motion, I knew that my cowardice far outranked my need of knowing who the killer was. Don't get me wrong. I loved the show. But I also loved sleeping properly. So, for nearly 20 years, I didn't get the answer to the question. Until now. Thanks to the miracle of torrents, I was able to finally get a copy of the whole two season run. And this time around, I'm getting to appreciate the show even more. The show sure was ahead of its time in almost every aspect! The camera angles used, the suspense-laden pauses, the eerie but quirky soundtrack, the limitless plot twists and false leads-- all were used by David Lynch to come up with a show that went well beyond being surreal and has established a whole new genre for itself. The show was so good that I even had to get a copy of Angelo Badalameti's soundtrack for myself! Of course, having Lara Flynn Boyle and Sherilyn Fenn was a bonus, but it must be pointed out that I am raving right now even if I haven't even finished the series yet!
So, it's only a matter of time until I find out for myself whodunnit! Hehe.
In the meantime, you guys can follow me through memory lane with this little clip of a true icon...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzyADC1D6yA


2 Comments:
That's a very Broken World by Gabriel Marcel thing to discuss. Hah! I learned something from Philosophy class!
All answers to your questions are a Google away!
Haha! Buti ka pa nga e! Ako, Philo major na and I even took a Gabriel Marcel Class and I still don't understand the Broken World! Hahaha
Post a Comment
<< Home